As I write this article sitting in my bedroom, I can hear the voice of an electronic siren.
I live very close to hospital, so I am assuming it could be the siren of an ambulance. And this siren voice has been on rise since morning.
‘How are you feeling today?’ ,‘Don’t go to the balcony. Stay inside as much as you can!’, ‘It’s okay if you don’t meet your friends. Your immunity is already compromised. No need to take risk!’
Phew! Universe! Are you listening? Keep me protected and safe please!
But I am so happy that I did Vipassana meditation retreat couple of days ago, and it is keeping me sane in this insane environment. I won’t talk much about this virus, and it’s origin as the whole world is talking about it. And therefore I advice myself, AND advice you too to be mindful, to not get swept away by the negativity around. While something bound to happen can’t be prevented, that doesn’t mean that we should not take preventable action. And here comes the importance of self-care.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the majority of people who contract Covid-19 suffer only mild, cold-like symptoms (fever, cough, headache, chills). WHO says about 80% of people with Covid-19 recover without needing any specialist treatment. Only about one person in six becomes seriously ill “and develops difficulty breathing (link).
Besides washing my hand at least 5-6 times a day, and not touching my face, there are few other things too which I am doing to keep my immunity intact, and felt like sharing this with you all.
- Wheatgrass shot: Wheatgrass juice or Wheatgrass shot is known as one of the best foods for boosting immunity. By boosting your immune system, it prevents your body from infection and disease. I drink 20-30 ml of wheatgrass juice daily. However, if you don’t feel like juicing it, you can always buy it’s powder which is readily available on Amazon.
- Increase you Vitamin C intake: Vitamin C helps encourage the production of white blood cells known as lymphocytes and phagocytes, which help protect the body against infection. I have Vitamin C tablets, and I am taking 1000 mg daily. If you don’t want to take any supplement, make sure you increase the intake of food high in Vitamin C.
- Soak the sun, soak the sun!: This is for people like me who get to see the sun rarely in winters. If you too live in such place, make sure that you get enough vitamin D by supplements as your immune system depends on vitamin D too. It triggers a strong micro-bacterial effect on your body and improve T-cells response to infections. I have it in liquid form, and I take 8-10 drops daily. (Consult a naturopathic doctor for the dosage.)
- Garlic: Anthony William has written a lot of good stuff about garlic in his book ‘Liver rescue‘. Raw garlic has strong anti-viral properties. He says that phytochemical compounds found in garlic seeps through the walls of intestinal tract into blood vessels, and kill the virus and pathogens moving freely in the body. I read somewhere that ‘Garlic can kill Corona virus‘ is a myth. Now, I am not saying that garlic kills it, I am saying that it helps strengthen your immune system so that it can better fight off infections. And since no research has been done on garlic’s effect on Corona virus, who knows it might kill it too! Better safe than sorry! 😐 Just try to eat 2-3 raw garlic cloves everyday. Make sure that you cut it into few pieces, and don’t eat it whole.
Tap your thymus gland every day: This is something interesting I read couple of years ago when I was researching for natural ways to boost the immune system. Thymus is a specialized primary lymphoid organ of the immune system where T cells mature. (On the right side you can see the image for the location of Thymus glad.) So, when you are watching TV or doing something which doesn’t involve your hand, use your three fingers to tap on this area for 20-30 times in one go. I try to do it 2-3 times a day though there is nothing specific written about it. Tapping is healing modality. You can read more about it here.
- Remain stress free: I try to do Yoga at home. Not much but just half n hour of yoga puts me into relaxed state. It’s okay if yoga doesn’t interests you much. You can opt for 5 minutes of deep breathing, book reading, music, meditation any thing.! Just give some time to your immune cells to relax, rejuvenate and feel happy.
- Sleep like a baby: You have to do everything to protect your immune system and boost it’s response. And not sleeping enough can put stress on it. It’s better not to be sleep-deficient and have a good 7-8 hours sleep every day.
Here is an immune boosting shot you can make easily at your home, and have it any time during the day.
- 1 inch ginger root.
- 1 inch turmeric root/ 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/4 tea spoon black pepper.
- Half apple.
- 1/2 lemon juice.
Juice all the ingredients, and drink it in one go.
Lionel Kendrick says that we cannot always control everything that happens to us in this life, be we can control how we respond. And you response is everything!
Being critically-ill I can assure you that it’s pretty tough for me. And you might be in same boat as mine in spite of being healthy. However, we still gotta try. Try to do better, think better! Today, everyday. For the last couple of days, I am trying to limit my exposure to news. No, I am not trying to be ignorant of the world around, I am just trying to safeguard my mental health first. And that would be my advice to you too.
What you choose to focus on, grows.
Instead of focusing on fear, focus on health.
Focus on well-being.
Focus on living with ease.
After all, ‘This too shall pass…..‘
Health and healing on your way…….
NOTE : PLEASE SHARE THIS AMONG YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. A LITTLE HELP GOES LONG WAY!